Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Historic Elizabeth

What do Dilworth, Plaza-Midwood, Fourth Ward and Wesley Heights have that Elizabeth doesn't have? Historic District Designation. Should that change?

John Rogers of the Charlotte Historic District Commission talked to the ECA board at the October meeting. I think there's interest on the board in persuing historic designation. I also think there's a lot of opposition in the neighborhood. Last time the ECA pushed for Historic District Designation there was a lawsuit. Can we avoid that this time?

What do you think? What's good about historic designation? What's bad about it? Post a comment, or better yet join Under the Water Tower and tell us what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see how this could cause division. On one hand, it would be great to have some guidelines as to what could be done to some of these old houses to keep with their historic nature, look and feel. There are some definitely botched renovations right about now and some re-dos that leave a lot to be desired. On the other, some would say, it's "big brother" and I want to do what I want to do with my house. I would probably be for it--to protect the integrity of these homes first and foremost.

Anonymous said...

definitely against it. we ought to use other avenues to encourage and educate home owners about the charm of these old neighborhoods and the value a proper restoration will do. But I am not sure I know of any property that has gone up in value because of more restrictions. definitely a big brother thing.